Steps to Become a USA Hockey Coach
USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program require both certification and registration to be eligible to coach. Registration is done online on a yearly basis. Certification is also required. A few basic steps requirements are as follows:
USA Hockey Requirements (Must be completed before participating in any team activities)
- Register as a member of USA Hockey – the cost is $46 plus any affiliate fees if applicable)
- Complete the background screening
- Complete the USA Hockey Safe Sport Training – required every year and cannot be added to a roster until completed
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching – the cost is $10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level. Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed)
Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements (Must be completed by Dec. 31 each season)
- Find, register and attend the required certification clinic – the cost is $55. You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. You can take clinics from April 1-Dec. 31 each season.
Coaching Education Program
This page serves as the start for all things related to USA Hockey’s Coaching Education Program. Click on any of the menu items to the left to find out more information about that subject.
- Rules and Requirements: Outlines the standards all USA Hockey certified coaches must meet.
- Coaching Clinics: Requires a USAHockey.com login (this login is NOT related to your USA Hockey member registration or modules)
- Age-Specific Modules: Links to the online program for this CEP requirement
- Online Certification List: Search for a coach’s certification and completion of an online age-specific module, and print a CEP card
- Student Coaches: Information on the student coach rules
- Coaching Ethics: Learn more about the Coaching Ethics Code